The phrase “Sources of Law” literally means where rules of law are found. However, the phrase has been used to describe:
- The origins of the rules and principles which constitute the law applicable in a country at a given time.
- The source of force or validity of the rules or principles applicable as law in a country.
- The materials from which rules of law developed.
- The factors which influenced the development of the rules of law.
The main sources of law of Kenya are:
- The constitution
- Legislation or statute law
- Delegated legislation
- Statutes of general application
- Common law
- Case law