By the end of the topic, the leaner should be able to;
- Define a set
- Use correct set notation
- Describe various types of sets
- Classify numbers. ie number types
- Express a worded set in set builder notation
- Define the complement of a set
- Use Venn diagrams to represent sets
A set is a collection of numbers or objects with the same characteristics eg. the set of all digits we use to form numbers
Notice that the digits MUST be enclosed in brackets.
Sets do not have to contain numbers.
We usually use capital letters to represent sets. Every item within the bracket is called an element (or a member) of the set.