Explain the term ‘promissory note’.
Explain the characteristics of negotiable instruments.
- Promissory note is an unconditional note in writing undertaking to pay a sum certain in money to the specified person
Characteristics of negotiable instruments
- No notice of transfer needs to be given.
- Consideration is always assumed to have been given.
- If made payable to bearer it is negotiable mere delivery but if payable on order is negotiable delivery and endorsement.
- It’s not affected the doctrine of privity to contract.
- Transferee acquires title if he takes it in good faith and for value.
(Visited 6 times, 1 visits today)