The management function of staffing is defined as filling and keeping filled all the positions in the organizational structure. This is done identifying the workforce requirements, making an inventory of the people available and recruiting, selecting, placing, training and developing, promoting, appraising and compensating the job holders so that they can accomplish their tasks efficiently.
Staffing is therefore the process which starts with identification of HR needs (HR planning), recruiting new employees into the organization and continues through separation of employees from the organization.
AIMS OF HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
1. To enable the organization obtain and retain skilled, committed and a well motivated workforce. 2. To enhance and develop the inherent capabilities of people.
3. To create a climate in which productive and harmonious relationships can be maintained.
4. To ensure that people are valued and are rewarded for what they do and achieve.
DISTINCTION BETWEEN PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT AND HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
1. Personnel management is the traditional term used to describe the staffing function while Human resource management is the modern term. 2. Human resource management recognizes that human resource factor is unique and should be treated as so different from other resources while personnel management views a person as a tool or equipment which can be purchased, used and disposed.
3. Human resource management involves management of skills, knowledge, abilities and talents. Personnel management involves just the management of people. Human resource management is career centered while personnel management is work force centered.
4. Human resource management views employees as profit centers and hence sees the need to invest in them. Personnel management views employees as a cost center, hence does everything possible to minimize that cost. 5. Human resource management utilizes employees for the mutual benefit of the firm as well as that of that the employees. Personnel management uses employees only for the organization’s benefit i.e. exploits them.
Reasons why the human resource is unique:
a) Human beings are different in terms of their temperament and socialization hence there has to be diversity in management.
b) Personal dignity is very important
c) A person’s performance is influenced other factors outside the workplace.