HUMAN PUBLIC RELATION
Human relation (HR) is a discipline within resource management which addresses interpersonal behavior within the workplace.
Study of group of people for the purpose of improving interpersonal relationship among employees and their public at large.
COMPONENTS OF HUMAN RELATIONS
- Good communication
- Good listening and understanding others
- Respecting others
- Serving others
POSITIVE QUALITIES OF HUMAN RELATION
- Being honest-Employees and customers should be true to their duties.
- Hardworking-Emloyees should be committed to their duties so as to achieve organization goals.
- Fairness-Employees should be able to serve without discrimination
- Creative-should be able to discover new and better ways of doing things so as to contribute to organization programmes.
- Competent-Any employee should be competent both at placeof work and social life.
- Ability to relate with different types of people in a professional manner.
MANAGING DIFFICULT PEOPLE IN AN ORGANIZATION.
Involves ways which facilitate togetherness in entire organization including those who are rebellious.
- Involving them in decision making process so that their opinion could be debated also.
- Assigning them leadership tusks in area of work though depending on qualification.
- Outlining organization core mission and vision which acts as their guiding principle in their work.
- Involving them in personal dialogue with their seniors so as to identify their problem and solution.
- Punishing the wrong doers depending on organization activity though a rare case but a common means is use of apology.
OBJECTIVES OF GOOD HUMAN RELATION.
- Satisfying employee needs as well as organizational objectives.
- Promoting employee motivation and workplace morale through involving them in decision making and effective communication.
- To strengthen and appreciate human effort providing training and developments.
- Promoting job satisfaction through provision of good working condition ,fair wages and salary, good communication etc
- To promote togetherness and easy achievement of organization goals in addition to minimal supervision .
- To provide fair and acceptable leadership.
- To facilitate easy conflict resolution within the organization and the customers which promotes good image of the organization to the public.
CHALLEGES FACING HUMAN RELATION.
- Globalization-increasing international competition is changing the way organization do their work hence a challenge to employers to update to the changes which may be expensive.
- Unemployment-due to adoption to changes in technology e.g use of ATM, Computers etc.
- Innovation is hindered due to use of machines.
- Inadequate resources hence making it hard to satisfy employee requirements.
- Stiff competition from their rivals.
PUBLIC RELATION DEPARTMENT.
Internal or external public relation department may be small or largely depending on;
- The size of the organization
- The value placed on pr management.
- Financial position of the organization
- The nature of the activities undertaken organization.
The possible staffs in public relation department include public relations manager, assistant public relations manager, photographers, print and publication officers etc.
PUBLIC RELATION MANAGER
Refer to the chief executive officer who manages the company public relation.
- To advice management on communication problems, solution and techniques.
- To inform the public on organization policies and activities
- To monitor outside opinions about the organization.
- To establish and maintain a good image of the organization.
- To set targets or define objectives for pr operation
- To estimate the working hours and other resources that need to be coasted.
- Selecting the appropriate media to use while communicating with customers/communicating organization activities.
WAYS A PR MANAGER CAN BOOST HIS/HER SUCCESS
- Public Relation manager must keep top management well briefed for interviews, speeches, representing the organization in public occasion and updating them on day to day changes.
- Public relation manager should create external lines of communication in order to achieve feedback.
- Should be competent in order to carry work with high efficiency.
- Setting internal lines of communication so that information can be obtained at all times in all sections of the organization.
- Creating external lines of communication in order to diversify source of information.
PR DEPARTMENT ACTIVITIES
- Handling public relation sponsorship.
- Training public relation staffs in order to promote competence.
- Representing the company in external meetings.
- Arranging press, radio and tv interviews in order to communicate organization activities or achievements.
- Maintaining media information service through maintaining healthy relationship with key media personnels.
- Analysing public relation feedback and matching them with the set objectives.
ADVANTAGES OF PR MANAGER WITHIN ORGANIZATION (IN-HOUSE PUBLIC RELATION MANAGER).
- Public relation manager is more familiar with the organization than the public relation manager from consultancy firm
- Public relation manager can easily establish lines of communication inside the organization hence getting reliable information.
- Public relation manager is in a better position to give management day to day advice.
- The public relation manager is readily available hence can make quick decision in case of emergency
- The manager may be able to consult from other organizations at a free cost.
- It promotes corporate identity of the organization.
- Public relation manager may be soo close to organization workers hence portraying discrimination and being biased in decision making.
- In small and disorganized organizations, public relation manager may lack job specification hence making it hard to achieve required tusks.
- Public relation manager may lack sufficient executive status to enjoy the respect of management e.g if his /her subordinates have higher education level than him /her.
- If the public relation manager is not properly trained and qualified he /she could contribute to downfall of organization.
- May lack skilled personnel’s within the department and limited work experience due to lack of exposure in various activities.