TUESDAY: 5 April 2022. Morning paper. Time Allowed: 3 hours.
This paper is made up of a hundred (100) Multiple Choice Questions. Answer ALL questions indicating the letter (a, b, c or d) that represents the correct answer. Do NOT write anything on this paper.
- Identify the name of keys present on the top row of a typical keyboard.
(d) Function. (1 mark)
- is a device used to provide a hard copy.
(a) Computer monitor.
(b) Cathode Ray Tube.
(d) Card reader. (I mark)
- is a device used to connect two computers using a telephone line.
(d) Modem. (1 mark)
- is a light sensitive device that converts printed texts, drawings and other images into digital form.
(a) Optical mark reader.
(b) Optical character reader.
(d) Plotter. ( I mark)
- Which of the following is NOT a pointing device?
(a) Touch screen.
(b) Magnetic Ink Character Reader.
(c) Light pen.
(d) Joystick. (1 mark)
- Which of the following file names is NOT properly matched with the proper application?
(a) Employee.zip Compressed tile.
(b) Employee.jpg picture.
(c) Employee.htm Web page.
(d) Employee.Mdb Excel. (1 mark)
- Which of the following is NOT an advantage of database approach?
(a) It is easy to design and develop a database.
(b) There is data independence.
(c) There is controlled data redundancy.
(d) There is data integrity. (1 mark)
- Which of the following statements is NOT true about databases?
(a) Relational database is of 1:1 relation.
(b) Network database is of 1: Many relationship.
(c) Hierarchical database is of 1: Many relationship.
(d) Network database is of Many: Many relationships. (I mark)
9. Which of the following is NOT a feature of a firewall?
(a) Web creating.
(b) Intrusion prevention system.
(c) Bandwidth control and monitoring.
(d) Malware filtering (1 mark)
10. Which of the programming languages are described the following statement: “They are procedural and problem oriented languages”?
(c) High level.
(d) Fourth generation. (1 mark)
11. Which software allows a personal computer to be used as a publishing and design tool facilitating production of top quality document internally while reducing printing costs?
(a) Word processing.
(b) Desktop publishing.
(c) Operating system.
(d) Presentation. (1 mark)
12. Which of the following is NOT an accounting package?
(b) Quick books.
(d) Quattro pro. (1 mark)
13. This is very special type of high speed memory whose main function is to make the programs and data available to the CPU very fast. Which of the following type of memory is described in this statement.
(a) Virtual memory.
(b) Cache memory.
(c) Random access memory.
(d) Register. (1 mark)
14. Which of the following is NOT a physical security control measure?
(a) Smart card.
(b) Security Guard.
(c) Closed-circuit Television Monitor.
(d) Biometric Access Control. (1 mark)
15. Name the component which takes digital data from computer system and turns it into visible images.
(d) Scanner. (1 mark)
16. Which one of the following is NOT a definite advantage of fiber optic cables over coaxial cables?
(a) Greater bandwidth.
(b) Faster speeds.
(c) More flexibility for the future.
(d) Lower cost of installation. (1 mark)
17. Identify the statement which best describes an information security risk?
(a) The likelihood that something bad will happen that causes harm to an informational asset.
(b) A weakness that could be used to endanger or cause harm to an informational asset.
(c) Anything man-made or occurring naturally that has the potential to cause harm.
(d) The act of ensuring that data is not lost when critical issues arise such as; natural disasters, computer/server malfunction, physical theft among others. (I mark)
18. Which of the following is NOT a computer port?
(b) Universal Serial Bus (USS).
(c) Video Graphics Adapter.
(d) Ethernet. (1 mark)
19. To execute an instruction, the CPU will first decode the instruction into a sequence of electrical signals controlling the connections amongst the logic gates.
Which of the following unit is responsible for generating such signals?
(b) Control unit.
(d) Cache. (1 mark)
20. Which of the following is considered to be the heart of a computer?
(c) 1/0 Unit.
(d) Disks. (1 mark)
21. Which of the following is used as secondary storage?
(a) Semiconductor memory.
(b) Random access memory.
(c) Magnetic field.
(d) Magnetic tapes. (1 mark)
22. Data is a stream of representing events occurring in an organisation?
(a) Raw facts.
(b) Meaningful information.
(d) Numbers. (1 mark)
23. Which of the following components could be upgraded to improve the performance of your computer?
(d) Printer. (I mark)
24. Which of the following is a storage area used to store data to compensate for the difference in speed at which the
different units can handle data?
(d) Buffer. (1 mark)
25. Which of the following has the quickest access?
(a) Direct access from a magnetic tape.
(b) Direct access from a floppy disk.
(C) Direct access from a cassette tape.
(d) Direct access from a hard disk. (I mark)
26. Which of the following best describes an internal network designed to provide and disseminate information to internal staff using the look and feel of the World Wide Web?
(b) Local Area Network.
(d) Internet. (1 mark)
27. Which of the following network security features is the best in terms of preventing users on a network from using programs and information that they do not need to access?
(a) Right of entry.
(b) Password rights.
(c) Access rights.
(d) Protocol rights. (1 mark)
28. Which of the following constitutes the major forms of multiplexing for computer networking?
(1) Frequency Division Multiplexing (FDM ).
(ii) Time Division Multiplexing (TDM).
(iii) Spread spectrum.
(iv) Wavelength multiplexing.
(a) (i) and (ii) only.
(b) (1) and (iii) only.
(c) (i), (ii) and (iii) only.
(d) (i) and (iv) only. (1 mark)
29. Which of the following best describes protecting the data from unauthorised access?
(a) Data inaccessibility.
(b) Data encryption.
(c) Data security.
(d) Data validity. (1 mark)
30. Which of the following software is generally used for what if analysis?
(b) Spread sheet.
(c) Presentation package.
(d) Database management. (1 mark)
31. Which of the following best describes what software documentation refers to?
(a) The linking of one document to another.
(b) Anything written about how the software is designed or functions.
(c) The documents which, the user has to sign before using the software legally.
(d) The compatibility of the software with IBM-PC. (1 mark)
32. Identity the computer generation based on Very Large Scale Integrated (VLSI) technology?
(d) 2nd (1 mark)
33. Which of the following statements is true for the second generation computers?
(a) They use vacuum tubes.
(b) They use magnetic drum for data storage.
(c) They use transistors.
(d) They use small scale integrated circuit. (1 mark)
34. Central processing unit is made up of the following components?
(a) Main memory and control unit.
(b) Arithmetic logic unit and control unit.
(c) Main Memory, Control Unit and Arithmetic Logic Unit.
(d) Main Memory and Arithmetic Logic Unit. (I mark)
35. Which of the following is NOT a pointing device?
(a) Light pen.
(d) Microphone. (I mark)
36. is also known as a desktop computer?
(d) Personal computer. (1 mark)
37. refers to moving from one website to another.
38. is used to add an attachment to an email?
(a) Stationary icon.
(b) Emoji icon.
(c) Paper clip icon.
(d) GIF icon.
39. What is the easiest way to place some graphics in some place in all slides?
(a) Place graphics in Notes Master.
(b) Place graphics in Slide Master.
(c) Place graphic in Handout Master.
(d) Place graphic manually in all slides.
40. is the space between the margin and the start of a paragraph.
41. Spreadsheets capability to allow a pie chart to be generated is known as
42. feature makes it easier to add repetitive data to worksheet?
43. Identify network topology that uses a single cable to connect all the computers?
44. The data in ring topology moves in direction(s)?
45. has an inner conductor and an outer conductor separated insulation?
(a) Twisted wires.
(b) Coaxial wires.
(c) Wire pairs.
(d) Fiber optic cable.
46. What is a multiplexer?
(a) A device that converts digital signals to analog signals.
(b) A device that converts analog signals to digital signals.
(c) A device that allow several devices to share a transmission line.
(d) A device that performs communication processing in a network (1 mark)
47. Which of these is NOT a characteristic of good information?
(d) Dynamic. (1 mark)
48. Which data capture method would be the most appropriate for reading the codes on packages, books and tins?
(a) Optical Mark Reader.
(b) Optical Character Reader.
(c) Barcode reader.
(d) Magnetic Ink Character Reader. (1 mark)
49. MICR is commonly used
(a) Scanning products at supermarket counter.
(b) To scan images printed with laser printer.
(c) Read characters printed in a special ink used mostly in bank cheques.
(d) Used for tracking hospital devices along with bar code. (1 mark)
50. is an intangible computer output represented on screen.
(d) Window. (1 mark)
51. is a language that is close to human language and it’s easy to write, debug and maintain.
(a) A high level language.
(b) A low level language.
(c) An algorithm.
(d) Machine code. (1 mark)
52. Which of the following programming language types was created first?
(b) Object oriented.
(d) Assembly. (1 mark)
53. is a proprietary software where the source code is NOT revealed to the public?
(a) Open source.
(b) Closed source.
(d) Shareware. (1 mark)