- Cost-one should consider the media which is more cost effective in order not to affect other activities negatively. The amount paid to access service from media should be less than the expected benefits.
- Media coverage-depending on the targeted population, one should consider effectiveness of media that will reach all the audience e.g. Local, National or International stations. More than one media can be used to facilitate maximum delivery of message.
Urgency of the message-If the message is more urgent, the media that is fast to prepare the news should be used e.g. radio.
- Content coverage-The media to be used should be able to cover the content in details in order to facilitate clarity of the message. E.g for an intake in progress it’s more appropriate to use newspaper than billboard.
- Competence of personnel working in the media-specific personnel influence attractiveness of the audience hence success in message delivery.
- Accessibility-one should consider the media that is accessible to the target audience. More than one media can be used depending on financial ability of informer in order to facilitate maximum delivery of message.
A budget is a statement which consist of the revenue and expenditure estimates for a particular period of time. The expenses estimates are first done then sources of revenue are adjusted to correspond with the expenses estimates.
- The budget sets discipline for both expenditure and the planned activities hence good financial management avoiding unnecessary spending
- .After completion of programme, the budget acts as a checklist to measure if the set objectives were met and draw a conclusion if the budget was overestimated ,underestimated, or enough.
- The budget facilitates forecasting of income based on expenditure.
- To estimate the total cost that will be involved in carrying out programme.
- Labor-includes salaries to the staffs involved within the public relations department or a consultancy labor is largest in public relations budget since public relations is labor intensive.
- Office overheads-includes both fixed costs and variable cost that are incurred during public relations programmes.e.g rent, water and electricity bills.
- Tools and equipment-consists of all physical items that will be used during public relations programmes e.g. video tapes, speakers, microphones, public relations programmes. Tents, computers.
- It facilitates reduction of cost.
- It guides the management in planning and formulating policies.
- It guides the management in research and development.
- It facilitates effective co-ordination of activities setting their limits and goals.
- It ensure maximization of profit though cost control.
- Goals should be clear
- Should have time bound.
- Adequate accounting system is essential to make the budgeting successful.
- Should be cost effective.