- Establishment: it is established section 4 (1) of the Rent Restriction Act, Cap 296.
- Composition: it consists of a chairman appointed the minister. To qualify for appointment as chairman, one must be an advocate of not less than 5 years standing.
- Jurisdiction: It exercises original jurisdiction in civil cases between landlord and tenants of residential premises whose monthly rent does not exceed Ksh. 2500.
The rent tribunal has jurisdiction to:
- Assess the standard rent of any premises on application or at its instance.
- Determine the date from which such rent is payable
- Apportion service charge between tenants if a tenancy is shared.
- Permit the levy of distress for rent.
- Decisions of the tribunal may be appealed against in the High Court.
(Visited 7 times, 1 visits today)