ADVANCED LEVEL –CPA
ADVANCED PUBLIC FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
To Equip the student with deeper understanding and knowledge in public financial management, and to enhance self-confidence and the ability of the student to evaluate practical experience in handling public resources.
A candidate who passes this paper should be able to:
- Develop awareness of the changing local and global public financial management;
- Acquire problem-solving skills and attitude in the practice of public financial management
- Apply acquired knowledge in public financial management in complex and dynamics environment.
- Implement public procurement regulations in practice.
Introduction of Public Financial management in Kenya
- The scope, objective, and principles of Public Financial management
- Relevance of PFM Act in management of Public finances
- Review PFM Act as an important tool to implement public policies in Kenya
- Best practices for public financial management in the global
- Challenges affecting implementation of Public Finances
- The Public Financial Management Cycle
Public sector procurement
- Introduction to procurement, store keeping, and Legal and institutional framework in public sector procurement
- General Procurement Principles
- The procurement cycle in public institutions
- The Accountable documents applied in public procurement
- Roles and relationship between stores personnel, Procurement and Supply chain officer in public entity
- Establishment of PPRA as public procurement regulator in Kenya
- Public Private Partnership models and their applications.
The role of Accounting officer in management of Public Funds
- Establishment of Public Funds
- Financing and operationalisation of Public Funds
- Review of selected Public Funds including Contingency Fund, Equalisation Fund among others
- Winding up procedures for the Public Funds in Kenya
- Overview of Integrated Tax System, its operations and infrastructure.
Management of Public Debts in both National and County Governments’
- Introduction of Public Debt, methods and debt instruments
- Establishment, Functions and of Public Debt office
- Debt management in the County Government
- Global best practices in management of public debts
- Key stakeholder and their roles in public debt management including National Treasury and Parliament
- Power of national government to lend money & Management of Guarantees
- Public Sector Investment and enterprise management
- Establishment and Dissolution of State Corporations and public investments
- Monitoring performance and statutory reporting for public investments.
- The role of the National Treasury in management of Public Enterprises
- Comparative analysis of State Corporation Act and Companies Act in Kenya
- Challenges affecting State Corporation in Kenya.
Public Financial Management Reforms in Kenya
- Establishment, Management and roles of Public Financial management reform in Kenya
- Public Financial management reforms in Kenya and East Africa
- Overview of development partners and donor funds management
- Resource mobilisation strategies by the PFMR
Internal Auditing in Public sector
- Establishment and scope of internal audit function
- Objectives and functions of the internal audit function
- The internal control system and its procedures
- Internal audit function reporting structure
- Internal audit standards and guidelines
- Qualification for and professional bodies guiding internal auditors
- The establishment, appointment and functions of audit committee
- The role of Audit Committees in management of public funds
- Merits and demerits of establishing audit committees in Kenya.
The Office of Auditor General
- The establishment of the Office of Auditor General and overview of the Public Audit Act, 2015
- The Appointment, roles and function of the office of Auditor General
- Responsibilities of the Auditor General & Relationship between the internal audit function and office of Auditor General
- Relationship between the Office of Auditor General and Internal Auditing
- Challenges facing auditing public sector institutions.
- The role of parliament as oversight body and parliamentary oversight committees in both National Assembly and the Senate.
- Challenges affecting the Parliament as oversight body
Appointment of Receivers of Revenue
- Definition and appointment of Receivers of Revenue
- The Role of Accounting officers in management of Receivers of Revenues
- Procedure for Revenue classification and estimating revenues
- Accounting procedure for the Receivers of Revenue
Management of Consolidated Fund Services & Exchequer Accounts
- Scope and objectives of Consolidated Fund Services
- Expenditures covered by the Consolidated Fund Services
- The Exchequer Account and procedures for exchequer requisitioning
- The role of Accounting officers in exchequer requisition.
- Principles and Operations of Treasury Single Account (TSA)
Management of Revenues in County Governments
- Classification of revenues in the County Governments
- The role of Committee Executive Member of finance in County revenue management
- The Role of the Commission on revenue collection in management of County government revenues.
- Operations of County Revenue Fund (CRF)
- Overview of computerized revenue collection services by County Governments.
- Challenges affecting revenue collection by the County Governments.
Public sector Budgeting and Planning
- Provisions of the National Budget in line with PFM Act 2012
- Principles of a Soundness of the Budget and the Public sector Budget cycle
- Types of Budgets and rational for their applications and the Stages of the Public Budget for both National and County Governments.
- Stakeholders in public budget making process.
- Strengths, Challenges and Weaknesses in public budget preparation systems
- The Public Finance Management Act, 2012
- Income Tax Act Revised Edition 2018
- Tax Procedures Act of 2015,Revised Edition 2018